Critical parts of your engine are lubricated, cleaned and cooled by your cars oil and filter. Other specifically formulated fluids are used for the operation and protection of systems and components such as brakes, cooling, power steering, automatic and manual transmissions, and transfer cases. Your car may also be equipped with a variety of filters including those for the transmission, fuel system and interior ventilation.
Periodic oil and filter changes help keep your engine clean on the inside. Dust, metallic shavings, condensation and even antifreeze can contaminate motor oil. Additives, which break down over time, are also subject to contamination. Other fluids in your vehicle may require periodic replacement For example, the majority of automatic transmission failures are heat-related, and automatic transmission fluid breaks down rapidly when subjected to high temperatures. Your car owner's manual may specify periodic flushing and filling of the brake hydraulic system because contaminated brake fluid may lead to erosion and other problems in the hydraulic system, especially on vehicles with anti-lock brakes (ABS).
- Change oil and filter every 3,000 to 5,00 miles or three months.
- Many car manufacturers recommend extended oil drain intervals for some drivers.
- In severe driving conditions such as in major cities frequent oil changes are required.
- For automatic transmissions, brakes, power steering and axles, vehicle-specific fluids should be used.
- Coolant should be changed every two years or 24,000 miles on cars with ethylene glycol antifreeze. Extended life coolants require less frequent changes.
At Marty’s Motors, your complete automotive care center in El Cerrito, CA we install only quality replacement parts. Give us a call at (510) 235-6000 and let us help keep you safely and economically on the road. We serve El Cerrito and the surrounding areas.